This most recent project for my patternmaking class isn't due until this Thursday, but since I had all of last Friday to sew without kids or lectures to write, I started and finished it in about 9 hours straight + an hour or two making adjustments yesterday and today.
much more stylish jacket from Boden. I liked the armhole princess lines, flap pockets, and rounded hemline. Clearly, getting my vision into a flat pattern is going to take a little work :)
silk lining fabric from Britex. The lining is a bit on the crazy side, but I kind love it.
The buttons are leather, slightly domed with a shank, also from Britex.
I made some fit adjustments during construction, taking the shoulders in 1/2" on each side and reducing the princess seams all around by 1/4" each. The fit could use some additional help (reduce the chest and shoulder width more, and I think the back, too, since it seems to have some vertical lines that I only saw in these photos!).
Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to meet up with some fabulous Bay Area sewists (I'll be adding a blog list of the locals soon). Among the very talented group was Beth, from SunnyGal Studio, a jacket sewing expert. She gave me some excellent tips for improving the overall look of the jacket. So, when I got home, I unpicked part of both sleeves to make them more smooth (that right one could still use some work, sorry Beth!), added sleeve heads (made out of some loose weave linen) and "clapped" as many seams and hems as I could.
Overall, I'm super pleased with my finished product and with a few more minor tweaks, I have a great go-to blazer pattern. And, I have enough leftover cashmere and silk for a matching skirt! You know, so I can really work that professorial vibe.
My littlest man was "helping" with the photos!
Next up for class is drafting trousers from measurements--I'll be making the sloper, instead of modifying one like usual. Looking forward to it!
Sewing Resewlution 2014, October garment #1. Wow, just got that in under the wire!