So I had intended to make an ironing board recover tutorial, but as I started the project, I realized there really is no need to write out step-by-step directions. What I'm going to show here, then, is how I did it in general terms--don't worry, you can recover your own ironing board without the explicit directions!
The best way to go is to take the ironing board cover you currently hate, and use it as a template to make the new one. Simple as that. No, I didn't like the pastel pink striped fabric cover, but I wanted to reuse the "guts". So first, I removed the "soft ware"--mine had a drawstring and some velcro straps.
I also wanted to reuse the padding. Trimming carefully around the top seamline, keeping the layers all together (mine had 4 layers--top fabric, a layer of batting, a layer of foam and the bottom layer of fabric), I separated the top of the cover from the sides.
The inside bits aren't pretty, but they are still functional! I removed the top layer of fabric and used that as a template to cut out my pretty fabric (both are folded in half in the photo below).
Once the top was cut out, I lined it up on the other three layers of the main cover piece, including the old pink layer underneath (no reason to waste beautiful fabric there!), and used a wide zig-zag to catch the edge of all 4 layers. Then, I trimmed the edge to make sure it was all clean and even. This made it infinitely easier to accurately sew the edge on later. Sorry, no photo!
Next, I used the remaining bits of the old cover as the pattern for the new pieces to create the edge. Remember, when you cut our your fabric using the old pieces as a pattern, be sure to add seam allowance.
The old cover used bias tape to create the drawstring casing, but I didn't have any on hand, so I just zig-zagged the edge and folded over 1/4" and seamed it up. It was seriously wonky around the tight U on the piece above, but seriously, it's an ironing board cover that only I use (okay, my husband irons his own clothes too, but he'd never look underneath!).
Pinning copiously, I attached the thick cover top to the sides and sewed all around. Inserted the drawstring, attached the velcro straps and voila! Beautiful.
I sure could have used this tutorial before I hacked away at my ironing board cover. It does not fit right at all, so I may reference this soon when I need to make a new one!ReplyDelete
Thanks a lot for the tip. Am planning to re cover my ironing board to. This is really helpful!ReplyDelete