After laboriously altering the pattern the first go-around, I made a few more changes for these shorts--I lowered the front rise by about 1/2 inch and added fancy patch pockets on the back.
Again, I used an unexpected fabric (dotted cotton lawn) for the pocket bags and the hem, a detail that makes me smile when I put them on.
The fabric is a bottom-weight stretch cotton from Joann's. It's a microdot pattern, probably from the white elastic threads that run through it (which were a bit annoying while sewing).
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with these shorts. They were quick to put together and fit quite nicely, while being comfortable with the bit of stretch in the fabric. I definitely feel like a stylish mom-on-the-go, like on my fave show "What Not to Wear"...a bit put together, but still able to play in the sand at the park. Hooray!