The boys were a bit too quiet this evening after dinner and I came upstairs to find my youngest using my serger spools as building blocks. "A GIGANTIC spider web, Mommy!" There are definitely worse things to get into in the sewing room, so we're good with thread!
During Kid's Clothes Week, I started to cut out a dress for myself, but set it aside. The fabric was bought years ago, and it's some kind of lightweight linen blend from Joann's. The pattern is an old Vogue 7871, probably bought when I was in college, but I wanted to try it out because it was simple, looked to be flattering and might be amenable to knit fabric.
It's crazy--if I followed the sizing based on my measurements, I would
be a 10 bust grading up to a 12 at the waist, but so much ease is built into patterns that I usually go down one or two sizes. This time, using the garment measurements, I cut a size 6 and made the petite adjustments. It fits perfectly! And because all dresses need pockets, I drafted side seam pockets.
It's great putting on clothing and seeing hidden details inside, so I added some butter yellow bias tape along the edge of the neck facing. It's the little things in life :)
The pattern is lovely; perfect for a simple summer dress. With Dolman sleeves and few pieces, it is quick to make and very comfortable. I'm excited to try it out with some knit fabric!
Today marks my 101st post (missed celebrating the century mark yesterday)! Over the past couple of years, hands down the most popular post has been this one: