Truly, the butterfly silk print (no longer available, but this is similar) really directed the design of the top--flutter sleeves ('circle sleeves', according to my textbook) and a flouncy peplum, with a nod to the vintage. To liven up the neckline a bit, I added a keyhole feature, with self loop and button:
There is an invisible zipper on the side and all of the seams are French (including the armholes!). I definitely referred to Jen's post "French all your seams" during the construction!
|Armhole French seam|
|Waistline French seam|
For the sleeves and hem, I used my narrow rolled hem foot, which worked (mostly) beautifully.
For the skirt, I used a stretch cotton khaki fabric since I really needed this particular basic. To be truthful, it is not very exciting--just a basic, low waist skirt with a contoured waistband, four panels, pockets and a side zip. What it lacks in interest, it makes up in practicality! Ha!
|Sorry so wrinkled!|
It is every so slightly too roomy, but at least I'll be comfy in my super practical skirt!
One negative of this otherwise lovely stretch cotton fabric is that after washing it, it was terribly wrinkled! (This skirt was made from a second length of fabric, unwashed). I'll probably have to dry clean the skirt, which is a true bummer. On the other hand, I machine washed and dried the silk (on delicate) and it came out of the machine in great shape!
|Pattern card for the blouse|
|Pile of pattern pieces|
Resewlution 2014, May garments #5 and 6